This Email address is already subscribed
Thanks For Your Subscription
Categories you have subscribed
Apr 5, 2019
Number of tourists increased by 4.3% YoY in March 2019
- Total number of visitors went up by 4.6% YoY in March as opposed to 1.2% YoY decline in February. Pickup in visitors reflects acceleration of the same day trips to 5.0% YoY compared to 10.7% YoY decline in the previous month. Over the same period, number of tourists went up by 4.3% YoY in March 2019.
- In USD terms tourism inflows increased by an estimated 7% YoY in March. When expressed in EUR and GEL, growth of inflows stood at 16.6% and 17.6% YoY, respectively.
- Important to highlight that the number of visitors arriving by plane increased by 19.6% YoY. Such type of visitors have highest spending per visit compared to other types of visitors and make up around 40% share in total number of tourists. This indicates that the estimated growth of inflows could have been higher*.
- From the regions perspective, growth accelerated from the CIS (+14.8% YoY). At the same time, number of visitors from the EU went up by solid rate in March as well (25.9% YoY). As for the countries, increase was strong from Russia (+32.2% YoY) and Azerbaijan (+11.3% YoY). Visitors from Israel rose by sharp 73.0% YoY contributing to the overall growth also significantly.
- Number of visitors continues to decline from Turkey (-7.2% YoY), but at a slower rate compared to average of 20.0% YoY drop in Jan-Feb 2019. Number of visitors from Iran also fell by -64.7% YoY with -5.5 PP contribution in total growth of visitors.
*Tourism inflows are estimated based on surveys with different per visit spending depending on the type of the visit and country of origin.