This Email address is already subscribed
Thanks For Your Subscription
Categories you have subscribed
Jul 5, 2019
Number of tourists up by 18.0% YoY in June
- The total number of visitors went up by a solid 19.9% YoY in June, while the number of same day trips and tourists posted high growth rates of +23.6% YoY and 18.0% YoY, respectively (see charts on the next page).
- The estimated tourism inflows grew by 16.0% YoY in USD terms in June. When expressed in the EUR and the GEL, the growth of inflows stood at 20.1% YoY and 31.1% YoY, respectively.
- In terms of regions, the number of visitors from the EU maintained a high growth rate of 19.9% YoY. At the same time, the number of visitors from the CIS countries increased by 18.8% YoY, mostly on the back of the solid growth from Russia (+30.8% YoY), Kazakhstan (+78.4% YoY) and Ukraine (+24.8% YoY). Visitors from the other countries went up by a strong 20.0% YoY, mostly due to a sharp pick up from Turkey (45.8% YoY).
- After a continued decline, the number of visitors from Turkey went up sharply YoY in June, reaffirming the growth projection of the tourism inflows even if the inflows from Russia are halved. In fact, before May 2019, when tourist arrivals spiked to 18% YoY with the key contribution of Russia, the growth of tourists was quite moderate during a couple of months.
- Georgia’s recognition as a tourist destination is growing globally. On the 8th of June, 2019 World Awards (WTA) Europe Gala Ceremony held in Madeira, Portugal, Batumi earned the title of “Europe’s Leading Emerging Tourism Destination.”